Finishing your manuscript is a special moment.
Whether it’s the first draft or the tenth, your book contains a piece of your soul. It’s a big deal. More than that, it’s something deeply important to you.
I understand that intimately.
My focus as an editor is to maintain what makes your story unique: your voice. Your voice is how you craft your sentences. It’s how your characters speak to each other and hold themselves. Your voice is what turns a story with known tropes and common archetypes into a special journey that makes the reader lose themselves in the tale you’ve crafted.
Your voice is what’s most important in a novel. No level of finesse or adherence to convention can compare to who you are as a writer—and how you craft your story.
The same rings true in nonfiction works. Perhaps you’re not telling a fiction with made-up characters, but you’re still sharing a narrative that is completely unique to you and your perspective. Even with facts, presentation counts for a lot.
It’s my duty to make your story—your narrative—the best it can be. I take common literary conventions, modern standards in spelling and grammar, and a keen eye for detail and repetition and I combine these into an in-depth analysis and alteration of your manuscript.
In other words, I make what you have, better. It’s not my job to silence you, harm you, or change you. On the contrary, it’s my job to give you a voice, to lift you up, and to improve on what you’ve already made. So let’s do just that.
What Can I Do for You?
I offer both copyediting and proofreading.
My copyediting rates are currently between 0.007 USD a word and 0.013 USD a word.
My proofreading rates are currently between 0.005 USD and 0.006 USD a word.
Many editors have different definitions they use for copyediting and proofreading. Here are mine:
- Copyediting entails going through your manuscript and checking it for grammar, spelling, and sentence structure. I am hands-off when it comes to your writing voice, and will only rephrase sentences that have awkward phrasing, incorrect idioms, or poor structure. When possible, I provide an explanation for sentence-level changes that appear frivolous.
I’m also available to make changes within the realm of line editing if you’re comfortable with it. What this means is that I may make more changes that impact flow and prose; in particular, this is beneficial if you think your writing needs some tightening or clarity.
All copyediting projects come with an included style sheet which covers all named terms and all style choices in your manuscript.
- Proofreading is the final look before or after you send your work off to a designer/typesetter. I tackle spelling errors and incorrect grammar alongside a secondary agenda of making sure your names and terms are consistent across the manuscript. I also make sure your stylistic choices are consistent (e.g. em dash spacing and single vs. double quotes).
I only proofread titles that have been previously edited by a professional.
A style sheet can be provided after a proofread for a small fee.
- Wee by Michael Boggs
- Stonewall Hearth and the Lovelash Locket by Michael Boggs
- War of the Sultans by Fuad Baloch
- The Broken Winds by Fuad Baloch
- Shifting Sands by Fuad Baloch
- The Red Throne by Fuad Baloch
- The Crescent Inquisition by Fuad Baloch
- A Voice of Thunder by John L. Reed
- The Magic Box by Scott Thrower
- Elemental by Scott Thrower
- The Wizard Hunt by Scott Thrower
- Bridge of Glass by Scott Thrower
- Menacing Misfits by Robyn Wideman (Bestseller in Arthurian Legends!)
- CYBER VIKING 2 by Marcus Sloss
- Half-Breed Hunter: Outlaws by David Aries
- Worthy of Hope by K. Constantine
- Into a Dream by Atlas Hill
- This Much is True by Anna Albo
- On the Rebound by Anna Albo
- Power Play by Anna Albo
- Do You Believe? by Anna Albo
- Shut Up and Talk by Anna Albo
- Clarity by Anna Albo
- The Mind-Changing Habit of Journaling by Zoe McKey
- Rewire Your Confidence by Zoe McKey
- Think in Systems: The Art of Strategic Planning by Zoe McKey
- The Critical Mind by Zoe McKey
- How To Be Whole Again by Zoe McKey
- Stretch Your Mind by Zoe McKey
- Unshakable Resilience by Zoe McKey
- The Battle For Your Email Inbox by Robby Slaughter
- You Are Enough by Michelle Jacob
- The Elements of Thinking in Systems by Albert Rutherford
- Habits of the Disciplined by Steven Schuster
- Outsmart Your Brain by Steven Schuster
- Think Like a Greek Philosopher by Steven Schuster
- Get It Done by Michelle Moore
- The Ultimate Book Marketing Crash Course by Nicholas Erik
- The EPA: An Intelligence Guide to Intelligent Evasion Planning by Rob Casey
- The Descendants by Kirk Kilgrave
- The Malevolent by Kirk Kilgrave
- The Malicious by Kirk Kilgrave
- The House of Madness by Kirk Kilgrave
- The Vindictive by Kirk Kilgrave
- The House of Broken Bones by Kirk Kilgrave
- Hand of Fate by Duane Boehm (Bestseller in Westerns!)
Want to Work with Me?
Send me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a 500-1000-word sample of your manuscript along with your genre and the kind of editing you want done. We’ll go from there.