Finishing your manuscript is a special moment.
Whether it’s the first draft or the tenth, your book contains a piece of your soul. It’s a big deal. More than that, it’s something deeply important to you.
I understand that intimately.
My focus as an editor is to maintain what makes your story unique: your voice. Your voice is how you craft your sentences. It’s how your characters speak to each other and hold themselves. Your voice is what turns a story with known tropes and common archetypes into a special journey that makes the reader lose themselves in the tales you’ve crafted.
Your voice is what’s most important in a novel.
The same rings true in non-fiction works. Perhaps you’re not telling a fictional story with made-up characters, but you’re still sharing a narrative that is completely unique to you and your perspective.
It’s my duty to make your story, your narrative, the best it can be. I take common literary conventions, modern standards in spelling and grammar, and a keen eye for detail and repetition and I combine these into an in-depth analysis and alteration of your manuscript.
What Can I Do for You?
I offer both copyediting and proofreading.
I’ll copyedit for ANY genre. My copyediting rates are currently between 0.0065 USD a word and 0.0125 USD a word.
I’ll proofread for ANY genre. My proofreading rates are currently between 0.004 USD and 0.006 USD a word.
Many editors have different definitions they use for copyediting and proofreading. Here are mine:
- Copyediting entails going through your manuscript and checking it for grammar, spelling, and sentence structure. I am hands-off when it comes to your writing voice, and will only rephrase sentences that have awkward phrasing or incorrect idioms.
All copyediting projects come with an included style sheet which covers all named terms and all style choices in your manuscript.
- Proofreading is the final look before or after you send your work off to a designer/typesetter. I tackle spelling errors and incorrect grammar alongside a secondary agenda of making sure your names and terms are consistent across the manuscript. I also make sure your stylistic choices are consistent (e.g. em dash spacing and single vs. double quotes).
I only proofread titles that have been previously edited by a professional.
A style sheet can be provided after a proofread for a small fee.
I am a relative newcomer onto the editing scene for fiction and non-fiction, and have only started professionally editing literature since January 2019. I am now in my second year of focusing on book editing.
As a writer, I’ve been involved in fiction for over 12 years through worldbuilding workshops, local flash fiction contests, and occasional writing competitions within a handful of writing groups. I’m also an active contributor in several writing critique spaces that seek input from editors or those with a keen eye for the “bigger picture” in fiction. I have been a dedicated text roleplayer in what is called the “novella play-by-post” style for 13 years.
Lastly, I’ve edited over 30 published titles, and am constantly striving to sharpen my skills in the editing craft.
Some of the titles I have worked on are listed below.
- Wee by Michael Boggs
- Stonewall Hearth and the Lovelash Locket by Michael Boggs
- Half-Breed Hunter: Outlaws by David Aries
- War of the Sultans by Fuad Baloch
- The Broken Winds by Fuad Baloch
- Shifting Sands by Fuad Baloch
- The Red Throne by Fuad Baloch
- A Voice of Thunder by John L. Reed
- The Magic Box by Scott Thrower
- Elemental by Scott Thrower
- The Wizard Hunt by Scott Thrower
- Menacing Misfits by Robyn Wideman (Bestseller in Arthurian Legends!)
- The Mind-Changing Habit of Journaling by Zoe McKey
- Rewire Your Confidence by Zoe McKey
- Think in Systems: The Art of Strategic Planning by Zoe McKey
- The Critical Mind by Zoe McKey
- How To Be Whole Again by Zoe McKey
- The Battle For Your Email Inbox by Robby Slaughter
- You Are Enough by Michelle Jacob
- The Elements of Thinking in Systems by Albert Rutherford
- Habits of the Disciplined by Steven Schuster
- Outsmart Your Brain by Steven Schuster
- Think Like a Greek Philosopher by Steven Schuster
- Get It Done by Michelle Moore
- This Much is True by Anna Albo
- On the Rebound by Anna Albo
- Power Play by Anna Albo
- Do You Believe? by Anna Albo
- Shut Up and Talk by Anna Albo
- Clarity by Anna Albo
- The Ultimate Book Marketing Crash Course by Nicholas Erik
- The EPA: An Intelligence Guide to Intelligent Evasion Planning by Rob Casey
- How to Become a Veterinarian by Susan Baker
- Hand of Fate by Duane Boehm (Bestseller in Westerns!)
Want to Work with Me?
Send me an email (email@example.com) with a 500-1000-word sample of your manuscript along with your genre and the kind of editing you want done. We’ll go from there.